Sunday, January 15, 2012

Recovery going well & Book Review

My recovery is going well. I still have about 3 1/2 weeks left of my restrictions but no issues. The doctor said everything went well and no complications at all.

Now on to my book review. I read a book last year called "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. (click on author to go to his page).  This is a wonderful book to read. I loved the way he wrote the book from a different point of view. Here is a copy from his site on what the book is about.

   The Book Thief
Knopf Books | Hardcover | 978-0-375-83100-3 | March 2006 | $16.95
Knopf Books | Paperback | 978-0-375-84220-7 | September 2007 | $11.99
Knopf Books | Unabridged Compact Disc | 978-0-739-33727-1 | September 2006 | $51.00
About the Book:
It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.
This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

The Point of view the story is told in is Death. Death is telling you the story of this little girl and her encounter's. If you get a chance to read this book please do. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

3 comments:

Amel said...

Glad to know your recovery is going well. The book sounds interesting. I'll keep it in mind for future book-to-read he he...

Graham Ettridge said...

I loooove that book! It is one of my truly fav books. I have to confess that I did get a bit weepy at the end, as I didn't want to finish it. The authour had a great twist in having Death tell the story. When I first picked up the book, I kind of thought that it would be a bit lame, but as I got into it I suddenly found that I was unable to put it down. A great choice read!

Hope you are well and feeling better.

Glad to be back in the blogging world :)

Graham x

Michelle said...

Amel, If you ever read the book let me know how u like it. I'm doing much better now.

Graham,
I'm doing very well now and so glad to see you back.